OLEDWorks recently conducted a life cycle assessment (LCA) of our Brite 3 OLED lighting panels in collaboration with the New York State Pollution Prevention Institute (NYSP2I) at the Golisano Institute for Sustainability of Rochester Institute of Technology (RIT).
The report affirms that OLED lighting offers several sustainability advantages, including:
- The total global warming potential (GWP) of the panel over its lifetime is 77.5 kg CO2e, which is equivalent to the emissions of the average car traveling 195 miles.
- With 98% of the panel’s GWP coming from energy consumption during use, the environmental impact of OLED lighting will decrease significantly as panel efficacy rises.
- Excluding use energy, the GWP impact of the Brite 3 lighting panel is minimal.
- With a low number of components and use of environmentally friendly materials, landfilling at end of life is not a significant contributor to environmental impacts for the impact categories that were considered in this study.
- With continued improvements in efficacy, OLED panels will further reduce their environmental impact in the future.